Cupid Ltd – Helping the world play safe!

Harpreet,

The example was to just explain that if there is no end-user acceptance, there is no growth even for B2B company.

To come to condom point, you can historically check that during 1970-1980s Indian government authorities freely distributed condoms to curb population. But there was very slow accepatance (since sex was taboo back then and still there in some pockets)…the population growth did not change much during this times (so either they did not take condoms from authorities or they just did not use it after taking!!)

The point to make is even if its condom, if there is slow social acceptance, people will still stick with male condoms instead of using female condoms. So if the acceptance is slow, eventually it will lead to lower growth for Cupid and hence it probably makes it over-valued if market pays high multiple vs. growth.

And even if there is one-off order like Brazil, it will turn to be temporary if people dont use it (eventually there will not be any repeat order by authorities).

There is difference between free vaccine distribution and free condom distribution IMHO :slightly_smiling:

Vivek, exactly my point…whether people took , used condoms or not…did it stop govts from using their budgets …answer is No

two, its a strong R&D based company with much better material etc than competition

and finally , it makes BOTH not just female condoms

hope it helps you understand , rest you can stay worried with no investment if you so wish :slight_smile: , no issues about that

cheers !

1 Like

I took a quick look at the annual report but I could not figure out the percentage of revenue coming from male and female condoms.

The export sales were high in 2015 I am assuming was because of one export order.

I see many people in this thread talking about female condoms but have you guys talked to your wives/gf/friends about whether they are comfortable wearing a female condom.

All of my Indian female friends had no idea what a female condom is and couple of European girls told me that they are not comfortable using female condoms.

So who is the target market for such condoms, African females?

1 Like

Europeans & Americans use a female condom made by FHC an American company which is brittle & costly. Cupid female condoms are better in quality, not brittle. So far they are for South Africans governments( donor based). In male condoms, there is too much competition & nobody is making money in India. So far Cupid is not marketing male condoms as it is not profitable. Females want protection & males often don’t. Female condom is hidden & gives good protection from both pregnancy & sexually transmitted diseases like Aids etc. Main target of the donors is to prevent AIDS & population rise. I am a doctor & last 35 years I have seen the rise of use of male condoms. Female condoms so far not well advertised in India. Last government didn’t show any interest in female condoms. In due course of time females will like it as they will be not dependent on the behaviour of males.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I also saw this in the annual report " Later on main object of Company have been appended with
obligatory permissions to entered into Diamonds, Gold, Silver and other allied precious products international or domestic trading/manufacturing/connected business segments."

Why does the company want to enter into Diamond, gold trading?

1 Like

@Himanshu_5093 I totally agree with this point. Diversification into an un-related business is what worries me. When they said CUPID will get into lubrication gels, it was the diversification in its existing forte.

Trading gold, diamond, silver and other allied product is just a stupid move. There are already tons of companies into precious metals trading and only a few of them are in good health financially. It’s nothing more than commodity there is no engineering no art.

@RajeevJ could you please clarify with management why it wants to get into trading of gold, diamond and silver?

1 Like

typically move a resolution in shareholder meetings to include quite a few unrelated business - it has been a practice; while best to be prudent and ask the management - there should not be any panic buttons pressed.

Disc: Invested

Is Cupid going for a NSE listing? Does anyone know?

Cupid ltd. received 2.95 Cr order from DKT India.

Here is the link:
http://corporates.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/2C6E9D03_B02A_44B3_B00F_051CF703C0D0_121303.pdf

3 Likes

Omprakash Garg to acquire 29,90,900 Equity share of Cupid ltd. from his brother suresh Chand Garg by way of gift, as per disclosure in BSE. http://corporates.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/A87EC742_B6C9_4424_87F5_D7F903BDBD87_163943.pdf

1 Like

http://en.people.cn/n3/2016/0308/c90882-9026842.html

A female condom produced by a Chinese company has been prequalified as safe and effective by the World Health Organization and the United Nations Population Fund, allowing it to be widely distributed to the public.

The Woman’s Condom, known in China as O’lavie, was jointly developed by the Program for Appropriate Technology in Health, known as PATH, the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, and local research partners through a user-centered process across four countries.

3 Likes

It’s a given that as time goes by, more players will enter & get the approvals from WHO & other organisations. The bet here is that with new players coming in, the size of the market itself will get bigger as the current user base is very small & the product itself is gradually finding acceptance.

Meanwhile, the company has announced a second interim dividend of Rs. 2 taking the total div pay out so far to Rs. 3 for the year. I was expecting a higher dividend as this was the last opportunity for the promoters to not have to pay the additional 10% tax on dividend recd. The mgt., as is typical of it, perhaps felt it prudent & in the larger interests of the Co. to conserve resources. Perhaps some kind of expansion is in the offing!

6 Likes

Cupid Ltd has informed BSE that a non-exclusive long term agreement (LTA) has been awarded to Company for manufacture and supply of Cupid Female Condoms to UNFPA for a period of 3 years.

http://corporates.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/13BACD2C_3881_4445_AAD3_4F6E6001D395_184737.pdf

5 Likes

Thanks Divi.

This seems to be a wonderful news for Cupid investors.

Regards.

Any Idea How much is the worth of this project…

No information, as yet, on size of the project & its effect on company’s EPS.

This is very good news. AS far as my understanding goes, there’s no order awarded yet, but the orders would soon start coming in after competitive bidding. What it does for the company is that it opens another big channel of potential orders.

1 Like

Attaching the UNFPA Procurement report issued in November 2015, which sheds some light on its scope & working.
1_UNFPA-PreqManagement.pdf (2.0 MB)

2 Likes

“Cupid Ltd has informed BSE that a non-exclusive long term agreement (LTA) has been awarded to Company for manufacture and supply of Cupid Female Condoms to UNFPA for a period of 3 years.” - commenting on this press release.

1. UNFPA had only two vendors who had signed LTA till December 2015. - FCH & Cupid. In Jan 2016 they invited fresh bids from participants for another 3 years. Check the URL below-
    https://www.devex.com/projects/tenders/itb-no-unfpa-cph-itb-15-035-for-supply-of-female-condoms-event-494-in-unfpa-etendering-platform/196100
    I have also pasted a screenshot below which shows that Cupid already had an existing LTA with Unfpa. So the tender period probably expired and Unfpa invited fresh bids.

(So Cupid was already part of the LTA with Unfpa and this recent LTA news is not something new. Possibly a case of renewal.)

1. To understand some #s on unfpa’s FC procurement - they spent $ 8.2 mn to procure 14.8 mn pieces of FC condoms (~55 cents/piece) in 2014. - Refer to the deck attached by Rajeevji for more details

Unknowns -
3. As of now we do not know if any other player has also got LTA approved with Unfpa
4. It is also likely that Cupid might get a higher share of Unfpa business going forward. (I m not very sure of the existing distribution b/w cupid & fch)

Thanks,
Ravi S

4 Likes

Management interview on CNBC18.

Co expects orders from UN for this period of 3 years. More importantly co enjoys +5% higher margins on orders from UN.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/buzzing-stocks/cupid-soars-9orderunited-nations-population-fund_5859781.html

Disc-Invested.

1 Like