Compilation of recorded Red Flag instances

I was very lucky to exit Manpasand Beverages before it went downhill. Thanks to red flags I noticed while doing research. Here are some more red flags:

1. In Sep 2016 Manpasand had come out with a press release saying “Manpasand Beverages ‘Mango Sip’ brand emerges as one of the fastest selling fruit drinks at SPAR’s retail outlets”. SPAR is a supermarket chain. I visited a SPAR Supermarket in Gurgaon in Feb 2017 and did not find a single Manpasand product on the shelves. The employees had never heard of their brands like Mango Sip. I posted about this experience on the Manapasand thread.
  2. Motilal Oswal, the largest MF shareholder in Manpasand Beverages, came out with a very bullish buy rating on their portfolio company. They mentioned no downside risks. I posted about this on the Manapasand thread. I am not accusing Motilal Oswal of wrongdoing, but merely pointed out that they had not presented a balanced view. It seemed investors, including institutional ones, were behaving irrationally.
  3. The AR showed that they were playing very low salaries to their employees. In some cases people were paid 1/3rd or 1/5th of the salaries that they would otherwise get.
  4. Advertisements in Economic Times. For a brand whose customers mostly came from tier 2/3 cities, it made no sense to advertise about Manapasand in Economic Times.
3 Likes