Commodity and Cyclical Plays

Sure. That seems like a decent proposition. It’ll make it easier for potential investors to access information pertaining to the company.

Could we be staring at one of the fiercest copper rally ever ?

First three lines of the article

Summary

Huge winners and huge losers will be created. It’s going to be one of strongest financial tailwinds we’ll see in our lifetime.

Copper has become a great way to invest in the green energy super-trend. I believe it can make us a great deal of money over the next five years.

To fully understand the upside potential copper mining stocks have right now, we need to quickly cover where the copper market has been, and where it’s going.

2 Likes

In my understanding, a major portion of the global copper production is utilised in the electronics and telecommunications industry. If copper does see a significant upward movement in its price, can’t manufacturers use aluminum instead of copper?
Also,copper consumption in China is a great indicator of consumption worldwide. There’s no significant increase in copper usage in China. What exactly could trigger the hike in prices? Demand is expected to remain stable and so is supply. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Read the article posted above. Major points

1.) No significant copper mine has been discovered in the past decade.

2.) Costs of producing copper are increasing because of low availability of cheap electricity in the key copper producing regions

3.) The Chinese have begun stockpiling more and more copper. The copper stored in the Shanghai metal exchange is now more than that stored in the London stock exchange.The last time this happened was in 2005. Look at the copper prices back then. The chinese are good at anticipating their own copper demand and future prices. They want to buy it now when it’s still relatively cheap.

4.) Solar panels need copper, wind turbines need copper, ev’s need copper, infrastructure needs copper. Vedanta is planning to double it’s copper smelting capacity to meet anticipated demand,

5.) One of the world’s largest copper producers in the world, Codelco, is predicting that copper will touch 10000$ from the current 7000$

6.) Look the profits of copper mining companies in Chile, USA and Australia for this quarter . They have gone up humongously, much like Hind copper today .

Disclosure : Invested.

7 Likes

Is there any way for an Indian resident investor to invest in Ardea Resources ?

Looks at ICICI and Kotak securities. They may allow you to invest in ASX. Ardea is listed at 400 mil mcap and rival CLQ is at 1 bill Macap. Ardea has far better resources. It has done 10 times since IPO early this year. It is on absolute tear and should continue to catch up with mcap of clq.

Imho expect another 3-4 bagger from here in Ardea. I reserve the right to be wrong.

Disc: invested in Ardea and hindcopper. Looking at another lithium major producer in Asx

4 Likes

@aarshkshah1992 I get it. A significant upside revision is expected in copper prices. Just a couple more questions: Would you mind sharing with me some information on the buyers of Hind copper products. And why can’t customers buy the refined metal from Vedanta or any other competitor?

Appreciate all the responses. Especially good digging on Copper. Collabarative work really helps every one.

4 Likes

Since Vedanta is expanding his capacity that should also be a good investment bet alongside Hindcopper to play out the copper theme, any thoughts?
The idea is to look out for listed players and invest on the best ones.

1 Like

@aammiitt2 Would you help to do a relative valuation of Hind copper at current price and what are the possible triggers for the company in future other than rally in copper prices? I have gone through the thread and aware about EV theme so you can exclude that.

Regards,
Suhag

1 Like

As far as Vedanta is concerned they are very much diversified and into a lot of metals and oil,so it is more of a commodity play than a play on copper .but Vedanta may have gains too.an easier pure copper play would be hind copper.

Disc: Inv in hind copper ,tracking vedanta

1 Like

To a question on what made me invest in Rain Ind in 2015. Reproducing here as some might not be following Rain Ind thread.

A lot of that thought process is there in my Cyclical/Commodity presentation.
Anyways, coming back to Rain, I have been tracking this company for long time. Just see the financials for CY 11, 12, 13, 14. OPMs consistently falling from 23%+ to 7% over these 4 years. And company was still eking a net profit, despite big leverage. Somehow, I had a sense that things can only improve from here. So, basically it was buying it at almost peak pessimism.

In cyclical investing, u buy when ratios are bad. And u have reasonable confidence that company will survive these bad times. Hope this helps.

-Jiten Parmar

15 Likes

@jitenp Can you answer on Hindustan copper investment rationale at current price? looking at the numbers i feel the same story as you posted above for Rain. Not saying that Hind Copper can give similar return but your views will definitely help to understand.

Regards,
Suhag

1 Like

Yeah
If you have invested in hind copper what triggers did you bank on and is the story still on ??

I would suggest you read the annual report and the plans the company has for increasing capacity and move up the value chain. One can also go through the filings. Of course, these had been said before too, but this time I am a bit hopeful as new MD has good background and my checks suggest he is a guy who possibly can do it. Of course, execution risk remains as it is a PSU.

4 Likes

And what’s your view on Vedanta? Read that you have exited at some point of time.and brokerages seems to be quite bullish on it.

Only monopoly in India in copper concentrate, full integrated copper company. There are copper refineries in India run by private corporates but they either procure copper concentrate from overseas or hind copper. The PBT suggest that copper prices are on absolute tear. I think next quarter will also be good but may not be as good as this result.

June 2017 EPS of #Hindcopper was 0.111 and price was in 60-65 range. EPS has increased 1.8 times in September qoq. Minimum target I see is 110. At 98, We should see a UC on Monday. 110 is conservative target. The run has just begun. Please conduct your due diligence before investing. I reserve the right to be wrong. Shri Santosh Sharma reviewing the performance of marketing team. In my view, the new CMD is focussed and good bring value to shareholders.

Private corporates in India look for higher import duties on copper. Imho this could be another trigger.

One the negative side,

On the base metals side, LME copper fell to its lowest level since October 11 on Thursday, coming in at $6,761.50 per tonne. Friday morning it was holding above that level on the back of a weaker dollar, sitting at $6,840. prices will continue to trade sideways over the coming weeks due to a stronger U.S. dollar outlook and weakening Chinese import of refined copper.

As UD dollar depreciates, it will be positive for metals.

2 Likes

Great write-up. Why do you think next quarter result won’t be as good as this quarter ? Is it because of decreasing copper prices?

Sir although the result of MMTC is tepid can we expect the same cyclical opportunity in MMTC

Thanks for the details. Yes i agree that copper prices have retracted a little from top but they are still trading near the top seen in September. October saw it peaking up before cooling down to the current level.

Regards,
Suhag

3 Likes