Bajaj Consumer Care (Formerly Bajaj corp limited)

In the last con call the mgmt said that there has been no further pledging happened. Since the stock price has fallen in the recent past, the no. of shares pledged automatically increases.

I fail to understand why Bajaj corp trades at such a discount compared to its peers. It has the largest market share in light hair oil and anti marks category, highest dividend yield and OPM compared to peers and about 10% of market cap available as funds + cash.

I know pledged shares is one of the major concerns for many investors. But are there other obvious concerns that I am missing out on ?

Edit - I think the market also considers the rise of Patanjali has one of the major threat to the brand.

2 Likes

Why do you say Bajaj Corp is trading at a discount to peers? It’s PE ratio is 22x. EV/EBITDA of 19x is fairly valued. Even if we discount for the 10% cash, 20x PE is reasonable. I think the valuation is due to dependence on single product. Pledging is not an issue since it’s not for funding purposes. Agree on rich cash flow. Dividend yield is high since the company pays out most of its profits.

Disc: Invested at CMP

1 Like

RUDRA advises a buy in the latest research report

https://www.rudrashares.com/Downloader/BAJAJ%20CORP%20LTD.pdf

One month old report . Target is already achieved based on report.

Bajaj corp reported a decent set of numbers:

http://corporates.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/8d57af64-a532-48ef-ad86-64cbbceecb78.pdf

Q4 Top line flat YOY, EPS down marginally. Overall a good year for the company.

Corporate presentation for reference:

http://corporates.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/b8e03174-f57e-4a24-8b3d-03f3700193c8.pdf

Bajaj corp Q1 results have been slightly disappointing with ~4% dip in sales (4% value degrowth and 8% volume degrowth). However, they have been able to maintain 61% market share in light hair oil segment.
Management is pinpointing GST as cause of dip in sales leading to de-stocking at distributors end from average inventory of 30 days to inventory of 7 days. Hence my guess is they might come up with better numbers in Q2.
Also management plans to raise 1000 crs for inorganic growth and will seek shareholders approval on 18th July (Not a good sign in my opinion).

Cheers
Vikas

1 Like

Bajaj Corp-Annual-Report-FY-2016-17.pdf (3.0 MB)

Rs 1000 crore is definitely not a good sign. Specially when you couple it with pledged shares of promoters.

Annual Report
http://www.bajajcorp.com/img/2017-2018_AR.pdf

It appears that the company answered the above questions in its investor meeting held on 6 May 2019. Did any one get a chance to attend or otherwise knows the answer to these questions?
Full presentation here;
http://www.bajajcorp.com/img/Investor-Presentation-May-2019.pdf

Double revenue and quadrapule profits in next 5-6 years…Management sounds very confidant. I have never heard Bajaj Corp’s management sound like this before or set themselves aggressive targets. It will be interesting to watch. If they walk the talk, share price should follow profit growth and possible slight rerating

1 Like

@hitesh2710 Sir, good to see you have started this thread. Bajaj corp incidentally was one of my first decent investment forming major part of my portfolio. I sold most of it the moment promoters pledged shares (I think around 2015) even though Bajaj corp was financially healthy. Promoter pledge in a way is whatever promoter wants to do with their money and I think for Bajaj corp it has always been in respectable limits (Pls correct me if wrong) But till date, I think the pledge issue is haunting it and now even Emami Ltd.

In today’s context, can you pls share your views on Bajaj corp and Emami Ltd. specially on Promoter quality issue. Thanks!!

1 Like

It is double the market share, => 3-4 x revenue and 3-4x profit

It mean 20% minimum growth for 6 years. (1.2) **6 = 3

Can people following this company for long highlight what were the growth drivers between year 09-13? What are the driver of achieving 20% growth going forward?

Result June 2019: Consolidated net profit up by 9.1% YoY and Sales by 8.5% YoY.
result_bajajcon_201906.pdf (1.1 MB)

Hi All

the sector break up given by the company is quite helpful -

I find it difficult to determine – what is the total addressable market for Bajaj Consumer – is it Coconut Oil + Other Hair Oil (12,781 Crores, 1.8bn USD), only Non Coconut Hair Oil (8,261 Crores, 1.16bn USD) or only Light Hair Oil (2,044 Crores, 288mn USD)? This assumes significance when one looks at the market shares below –

Total Oil MS % Non Coconut Oil MS % Light Hair Oil MS %
Marico 46% Marico 17% Bajaj 60%
Bajaj 10% Bajaj 15% Others 40%
Dabur 8% Dabur 12% Total 100%
Emami 7% Emami 11%
Shalimar 3% Shalimar 4%
Total 74% Total 58%

The thought behind figuring out addressable market was to understand if Bajaj Cons had scale advantages in the entire hair oil market or is it merely big in a small category? With such high levels of concentration in the overall market and a distinct differentiation by consumers for non-coconut oils (due to non-stickiness and other benefits), Bajaj Consumer can employ economies of scale even when the category it competes in is classified as Non Coconut hair oil.

Despite its premium pricing, Bajaj Consumer has increased its market share continuously as can be seen from below –

Particulars 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Value Share 7.7% 8.5% 9.5% 9.9% 9.7% 9.7% 9.8% 9.5% 9.6%
Volume Share 4.7% 5.8% 6.6% 6.7% 7.1% 7.4% 7.3% 7.3% 7.8%
100ml Price 50 55 60 60 60 60 65

2 main negatives for me are -

#1 – Pledging of Shares and Sale by promoters – In order to raise financing for its power company Lalitput Power Generation Company Ltd, in a liquidity crunch due to non payment by state discoms, promoters have pledged a large part of their shareholding - 61%, up from 26% in FY 2015. Further highlighting liquidity constraint, promoters also sold 7% stake in the company in FY19, and their holding presently stands at 60%. At a recent investor meeting in May 2019, the promoters have commented that power project issues are easing and no more promoter selling is envisaged. Resembles sale of family gold to save the copper.

#2 – Low Audit Fees – For a 4,000 crore (560mn USD) m-cap, its quite surprising that the audit fees charged are merely 10 lakhs (14k USD), and the audit firm is a sole proprietorship in Bombay. With such low compensation and size of the firm, even stock audits all over India in various depots might be difficult. With 265 crores (37mn USD) lying in company’s accounts, a weak external oversight is worrisome.

You can read my entire thesis on the company here -

Disc. - Invested.

hope this helps!

7 Likes

They have mentioned the breakup of this (current) investment

Then why not get it as special dividend then sale 7% equity?

2 Likes

The cash represented by the investments above is the cash raised by the company in its IPO. they cannot give this away as special dividend since the capital raising was done specifically for acquisitions.

1 Like

22% Equity exchanged hands today. Promoter sold 22% stake in the company which brings down their stake from 60% to 38%. With this they have wiped out all the pledge I believe. will get more clarity on the concall

Interesting events, not clear if they used that money to wipe out the pledge yet. Would be nice if yes. Also would be interesting to see how much dividend will they now declare with the promoter share reduced by huge extent.